Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those interested in learning more, both the Met Orchestra and the Met Chorus have their own unofficial websites:
    http://www.metoperachorus.com/
    http://metorchestramusicians.com/

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    English Touring Opera is small touring company & as far as I know everything used to be sing in English.

I was surprised & very happy to discover that their Simon Boccanegra is being sung in Italian. One of the venues is not far from where I live so I can go straight from work & get home the same evening. Also have got me a top price front row of the balcony seat for the princely sum of £23 ($36). #winwin
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Review of the recent semi-staged production of Rigoletto in Boston.

The second scene introduced the menacing murderer-for-hire, basso profundo Sparafucile, portrayed with gravitas by Grigory Soloviov. His famous self-introduction, outlining a descending octave, was framed by one of the shockingly blue doorways, and emphasized Soloviovís intense dramatic and vocal presence.
    Really must get to see this guy soon.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    The open dress rehearsal for Rigoletto just finished. I won the tickets from the Rigoletto open dress rehearsal lottery. I don't feel it's fair to give a review since this was just dress.
    So just some general impressions.
    The men were superb. I had never heard Lucic before and he is outstanding. Piotr and Stefan Kocan were fantastic too.
    I feel Damrau's voice has deepened a bit and she uses a fair amount of vibrato.
    Almaviva, I think you are going to like Countess Ceprano.
    The set and some of the English translations are...interesting. I can see why there might be some reservations.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually a little surprised by the recent uproar over moving the setting to Las Vegas. It seems odd that so much attention is being given to this time change, that the excellent singers involved in the production and the opera itself are being overshadowed by it. I am pretty much indifferent to where or when a production is set as long as it serves the overall expression and drama within the piece.
    Without giving away any spoilers, I am not sure how thoroughly the director understands some of the key scenes in the piece. I felt that with the Masked Ball, the lighting, costumes, and sets supported the mood created by the music better.
    When you see the Live in HD, you can judge for yourself.

Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday New York Times article (1/27/13) on the Met's new Rigoletto production:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/ar...t-the-met.html

Post Thanks / Like
    The experience of a cover at ROH.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a bit of a chuckle out of this: Two of the individuals suggested as possible replacements for Tony Hall at the Royal Opera are named Lord Eatwell and James Naughtie. They almost sound like characters out of a comedy. Lord "Eat well," of course, would be a very portly gourmet, and Mr. Naughtie (whose last name, I assume, is pronounced "Naughty") would be . . . well, you know.

(Of course, I realize these are both eminently respectable gentlemen. The former is president of Queens College, Cambridge, and the latter is a longtime BBC broadcaster.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Got a bit of a chuckle out of this: Two of the individuals suggested as possible replacements for Tony Hall at the Royal Opera are named Lord Eatwell and James Naughtie. They almost sound like characters out of a comedy. Lord "Eat well," of course, would be a very portly gourmet, and Mr. Naughtie (whose last name, I assume, is pronounced "Naughty") would be . . . well, you know.

(Of course, I realize these are both eminently respectable gentlemen. The former is president of Queens College, Cambridge, and the latter is a longtime BBC broadcaster.)

They definitely sound like a comedy double-act or like characters from Dickens. Sorry to disappoint you though, Naughtie is a Scottish name & is pronounced 'Noch (ch not kk but as in Loch) -tee'

Post Thanks / Like
    The Tommasini review

Countess Ceprano went right over his head.
    Of course he wouldn't notice the tall, shapely blonde in the glittering gown standing in the middle of the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Sunday New York Times article (1/27/13) on the Met's new Rigoletto production:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/ar...t-the-met.html

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Tardis. The production sounds tawdry enough that I probably would like it!

We had a La Boheme here 4 or 5 years ago that was set in a big city loft apartment (20th century) such that it required the Dramaturg (or whoever does the surtitles) to take some real liberties with the libretto to make it fit the production. I loved it even though the Washington Post thought it was cliched and tedious. Regardless, it was the best sung Boheme I've ever heard (Vittorio Grigolo as Rudolfo).

Post Thanks / Like
    This forum has got some interesting stuff in it.
    http://www.nfcs.net/forumindexframe.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted to share this really moving article about Flicka and mezzo soprano Zheng Cao. clicky

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Wanted to share this really moving article about Flicka and mezzo soprano Zheng Cao. clicky
    Wow. I'm scheduled to interview Flicka in person on March 6, and I'll ask her about this.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); February 10th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)