Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have seen that great interview with Gossett!

I also agree that companies and artists should disclose changes, and if the changes reach a certain point a new title is in order. I used to be a hawk for true-to-the-score performances, and it really bothered me that performers/directors/organizations spoke about serving the composer and then turning around and making changes I found unwarranted. I remember reading Harold C. Shonberg's "The Great Conductors," and actually taking out a pencil and writing "Yes!" next to a quote from Toscanini about sticking with the score. Then I turned the page and read about him making lots and lots of edits in some works he conducted. Next to the that I wrote, "Nevermind." This is the only time I've written in the margins of a book.

In some ways I've given up this fundamentalism, but it can still raise my hackles. It's like politicians talking about honesty. But I think Gossett has the right mindset: get the best, most accurate information for a piece, and from that build the best performance in the practical limitations of your situation. This won't be exactly what the composer had in mind, but it will more often than not lead to a better performance that captures the spirit of the work.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deNoget View Post
    This is the only time I've written in the margins of a book.
    Darn, I was hoping to hear you are actually Pierre de Fermat in disguise!

Conductors often have to make "practitioner" type changes to the music, whether a transposition to accommodate a key artist or to handle the exigencies of having too small an orchestra or having some players come down with food poisoning just before the start of the concert/opera. This is accepted and quite reasonable. I don't mind conductors making changes like this. I just dislike it when they make gratuitous changes based on their personal preferences. As you point out in the case of Toscanini, it happens more often than audiences realize!
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I don't agree necessarily with everything she writes, overall, I really like this blog entry by Leslie Barcza about what is happening to opera today and such productions as Lepage's Ring: [clicky]

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Although I don't agree necessarily with everything she writes, overall, I really like this blog entry by Leslie Barcza about what is happening to opera today and such productions as Lepage's Ring: [clicky]
    I share her appreciation of the premise behind Lepage's Ring (even if it wasn't manifested with complete success).

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the executives in my company claims that he is opera lover (He is Italian-American).
    When he was giving a presentation in front of us with a projector, I noticed that he had Andrea Bocelli on his music playlist.
    I died a little inside.

On an unrelated note, I recently purchased a 6 LP Solti Gotterdammerung from Decca rebranded under the London name from Academy Records in the city. It's not a bad store. The selection isn't comprehensive but they do have some good recordings there. They don't seem to carry too much of the more mainstream CD recordings.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    One of the executives in my company claims that he is opera lover (He is Italian-American).
    When he was giving a presentation in front of us with a projector, I noticed that he had Andrea Bocelli on his music playlist.
    I died a little inside.
    If Oscar Wilde was sentenced to 2 years of solitary confinement and hard labor for "gross indecency" just because he loved a young man, having Andrea Bocelli in one's playlist should warrant at least double that sentence. Loving Andrea Bocelli is rather more than grossly indecent.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    I died a little inside.
    You didn't look long enough. I'm sure Charlotte Church, Katherine Jenkins, and Sarah Brightman were also hiding out somewhere on that list, as they have all sung that great operatic aria, "Con te partirò"

Post Thanks / Like
    Russian Opera Workshop 2013:

Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joyce DiDonato talks to Rupert Christiansen.

"Stop apologising, stop trying to sell our music by dumbing it down. Sell opera on the basis that it is like nothing else on the planet, not on the basis that it’s superficially cool and hip – that is so phoney."

You tell 'em!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DiDonato family
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter

JOYCE DiDONATO

to

AMFORTAS

Saturday, the Seventh of September
    Two thousand and thirteen
    at five o'clock in the afternoon

Church of the Pathetic Dreamer
    2413 You Wish Boulevard
    Not Gonna Happen, Illinois

Reception to follow

Senior Member Involved Member Vesteralen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post

"Stop apologising, stop trying to sell our music by dumbing it down. Sell opera on the basis that it is like nothing else on the planet, not on the basis that it’s superficially cool and hip – that is so phoney."

You tell 'em!
    Cool article, sospiro. I really liked the final paragraph:

“What really moved me was an African-American girl who might have been 15. She came running up to find me afterwards and said ‘I don’t know what you call that sort of singing, but it was the most wonderful thing I have ever heard. Where can I find more of it?’ If we do our job properly, people will listen and get it. You see, great music just works.”

A fan is born!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesteralen View Post
    I really liked the final paragraph:

“What really moved me was an African-American girl who might have been 15. She came running up to find me afterwards and said ‘I don’t know what you call that sort of singing, but it was the most wonderful thing I have ever heard. Where can I find more of it?’ If we do our job properly, people will listen and get it. You see, great music just works.”

A fan is born!
    I know! Brought a lump to my throat!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You tell 'em!
    I love Joyce. She is truly wonderful! Ever since she mentioned this position of hers in her interview with us which I thought was so good I placed first in our book, I've been quoting it all over the place including to other singers. I was already completely crazy about her singing and acting, then I got to see how smart and passionate she is. And to top it all, I met her in person in Santa Fe (more than one year after the interview which wasn't done in person) and that was one of the highest points of the trip. I was able to thank her in person for tweeting and facebooking positive things about Opera Lively. Got a souvenir picture as well but told her it wasn't for publication so I can't put it here.

But yes, go get them, Joyce! Her motto should be "Don't apologize for opera" - one of the most insightful comments I heard from anybody in the environment, and one that inspired me a lot.

And then, she sings divinely, acts superbly, and looks gorgeous. This, coupled with her keen intelligence, is the true whole package! I can understand Amfortas' longings. Joyce's husband is a very lucky man.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You tell 'em!
    Thanks for posting the interview! I was in the audience for one of those recitals with the Kleenex box on the piano, and she was terrific!