Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 109

Thread: Our 13 favourite operas

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #31
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    I did say in no particular order.
    and in your 'no particular order' parsifal is expected to be higher! (slimey green monster high five)

    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    You should try some Wozzeck. Would be interesting to see your response.
    I have the Boulez recording, but haven't listened to it yet. I currently average 2-3 non-Wagner operas per year, I hope to bring that up to 5 or so soon.
    Couchie, I think 2nd viennese and expressionism in general is the best that mood when I need Wagner but a little more new-school... if that makes sense... I can't imagine you responding poorly to any of the 2nd viennese music or drama, is what i'm sayin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Very interesting the mention to Argento's underrated opera The Aspern Papers. Here we can watch this opera complete in youtube:
    will investigate immediately. I love his monodramas.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Der Ring
    2. St. Francois d'Assise
    3/4. Tristan/Parsifal (tie)
    5. Lohengein
    6. L'amour De Loin
    7. Tannhauser
    8. The Family Room by Thomas Pasatieri (the overall effect isn't necessarily what i'd consider my jam, but the totality in dramatic voice, confidence in tonal choices, and expertise in dialectic vocal writing is an endless well of inspiration for me, and i've only heard it once in a piano reduction!)
    9. Der Fliegende
    10. Elektra
    11. the Licht Cycle
    12. The Magic Flute
    13. Dr. Atomic (Klinghoffer as a MOVIE is the superior piece, but as an opera doesn't come close to Dr. Atomic.)

  3. #33
    Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGesamtkunstwerk View Post
    1. Der Ring
    2. St. Francois d'Assise
    3/4. Tristan/Parsifal (tie)
    5. Lohengein
    6. L'amour De Loin
    7. Tannhauser
    8. The Family Room by Thomas Pasatieri (the overall effect isn't necessarily what i'd consider my jam, but the totality in dramatic voice, confidence in tonal choices, and expertise in dialectic vocal writing is an endless well of inspiration for me, and i've only heard it once in a piano reduction!)
    9. Der Fliegende
    10. Elektra
    11. the Licht Cycle
    12. The Magic Flute
    13. Dr. Atomic (Klinghoffer as a MOVIE is the superior piece, but as an opera doesn't come close to Dr. Atomic.)
    No love for Meistersinger?

  4. #34
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGesamtkunstwerk View Post
    and in your 'no particular order' parsifal is expected to be higher! (slimey green monster high five)
    I think the type of whatever Couchie is, is called a Bunchie.



    And from the side:



    And from the back:

    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    No love for Meistersinger?
    I like Meistersinger a lot it's just i had other things to fit in... it's tough...

    14. Meistersinger

  6. #36
    Junior Member Recent member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Wow. Very interesting list.

    So interesting, in fact, that I'm willing to forgive the lack of Wagner.
    LOL, I'm actually trying to broaden my operatic horizons by getting more into Wagner, Czech and more Russian opera. I'm even branching out into more 20th Century opera. Wish me luck!!!!

  7. #37
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tenchi67622 View Post
    LOL, I'm actually trying to broaden my operatic horizons by getting more into Wagner, Czech and more Russian opera. I'm even branching out into more 20th Century opera. Wish me luck!!!!
    Ask me for suggestions. I'll be willing to give you some ideas.
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

  8. #38
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see that there are two more fans of Les Troyens - cheers, fellow fans jflatter and tenchi67622!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. #39
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    I think the type of whatever Couchie is, is called a Bunchie.
    Yep, we know, but we like to call him Wagnerian green monster thingie.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  10. #40
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tenchi67622 View Post
    LOL, I'm actually trying to broaden my operatic horizons by getting more into Wagner, Czech and more Russian opera. I'm even branching out into more 20th Century opera. Wish me luck!!!!
    20th century (and 21st century) opera is great. Our two threads about modern and contemporary opera can give you plenty of ideas.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  11. #41
    Senior Member Involved Member Bardamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    In order but how I hate order.

    1- Iris (Mascagni)
    2- Turandot (Puccini)
    3- Eugene Onegin (Tchaikovsky)
    4- Cavalleria Rusticana (Mascagni)
    5- Aida (Verdi)
    6- Norma (Bellini)
    7- Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
    8- La Traviata (Verdi)
    9- Madama Butterfly (Puccini)
    10- Mefistofele (Boito)
    11- Il Trovatore (Verdi)
    12- Cenerentola (Rossini)
    13- L'Elisir d'Amore (Donizetti)

    EDIT:
    Goddam how could I left out Die Zauberflöte !?

  12. #42
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    20th century (and 21st century) opera is great. Our two threads about modern and contemporary opera can give you plenty of ideas.
    WHERE ARE YOU??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

  13. #43
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardamu View Post
    In order but how I hate order.

    1- Iris (Mascagni)
    2- Turandot (Puccini)
    3- Eugene Onegin (Tchaikovsky)
    4- Cavalleria Rusticana (Mascagni)
    5- Aida (Verdi)
    6- Norma (Bellini)
    7- Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
    8- La Traviata (Verdi)
    9- Madama Butterfly (Puccini)
    10- Mefistofele (Boito)
    11- Il Trovatore (Verdi)
    12- Cenerentola (Rossini)
    13- L'Elisir d'Amore (Donizetti)

    EDIT:
    Goddam how could I left out Die Zauberflöte !?
    Ehhh, that Zauberflöte is pretty silly. And it's overrated. What's the point?
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

  14. #44
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Loge View Post
    I think this is the only version that exists:
    Montpellier, 2008
    Maria Ercolano - Salustia
    José Maria Lo Monaco - Alessandro
    Marina De Liso - Marziano
    Raffaella Milanesi - Giulia
    Cyril Auvity - Claudio
    Valentina Varriale - Albina

    LA CAPPELLA DELLA PIETÀ DE' TURCHINI - Antonio Florio, direction

    You have it, complete, in youtube.
    [No longer available - link deleted by Admin]
    Oh wow, too bad, no longer available.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 7th, 2018 at 01:47 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  15. #45
    Junior Member Recent member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Very interesting the mention to Argento's underrated opera The Aspern Papers. Here we can watch this opera complete in youtube:

    The thing I'm most excited about is that the world premiere was held in Dallas in '88 and now the Dallas Opera will be presenting it next spring for it's 25th anniversary with Carol Vaness, Susan Graham & Nathan Gunn. I cannot wait!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS