Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    The Dybbuk, opera by David Tamkin

Schigolch
    Let's hear some contemporary opera: Andrew Toovey - Ubu Roi

Schigolch
    Procedura penale, by Luciano Chailly:

Schigolch
    Gli Abencerragi - Cherubini

Anita Cerquetti .
    Louis Roney.
    Alvino Misciano.
    Mario Petri.
    Augusto Frati.
    Aurelian Neagu.
    Paolo Washington.
    Lorenzo Tesi.

Conductor: Carlo M. Giulini

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Let's hear some contemporary opera: Andrew Toovey - Ubu Roi

What is that green thing???
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Giuseppe Verdi
    Ernani 2010
    Salvatore Licitra, Daniela Dessi', Thomas Hampson. Carlo Colombara and Nello Santi in Zurich

Post Thanks / Like
    Giuseppe Verdi
    Un ballo in maschera
    CAST: Jesús López Cobos (Conductor) Mario Martone (Stage Director) Marcelo Álvarez (Riccardo) Violeta Urmana (Amelia) Marco Vratogna (Renato) Elena Zaremba (Ulrica) Alessandra Marianelli (Oscar) Borja Quiza (Silvano) Miguel Sola (Samuel) Scott Wilde (Tom) Orlando Niz (A Judge) César San Martín (Amelia's Servant) [live at the Teatro Real, Madrid, Recorded on the 25th & 28th September 2008]

Post Thanks / Like
    Giacomo Puccini
    Tosca
    Arena di Verona, 1984
    Daniel Oren
    Eva Marton
    Ingvar Wixell
    Giacomo Aragall

Technology Consultant Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a tip, you can search easily for complete operas on youtube by typing the name of the opera followed by a comma and then the word long
    For example, typing "die zauberflote, long" in the search box (without quotes) gives you these results

I'm really surprised at the number of full productions for virtually every opera I've tried. Of course audio quality will vary and this will not show results for operas split into segments smaller than 20 minutes, but those are almost more trouble than they are worth in my opinion.

Schigolch
    Johann Mattheson's Boris Godunov (1710):

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Oh wow, so we've been promoting material that violates copyrights? I thought YouTube clips were under fair use licenses.
    The situation is more complicated from that, but only from Youtube's perspective. The honus is on them to enforce copyright, not for those linking to youtube clips to verify for themselves that the material provided has obtained the necessary permissions from all appropriate parties. That is, from a legal and moral standpoint there is no issue with a 3rd party such as one of us linking to material hosted on youtube.

Schigolch
    After a long experience in Opera forums (close to eight years now), I think the only possible issue for us would be if we are providing ourselves copyrighted material, or linking to sites with a 'doubtful' pedigree such as AvaxHome and the like.

With youtube, there is no such problem. If they find something is copyrighted material, they will delete it themselves. In the unlikely case that someone register a complaint with us, we can edit the link in our site ourselves, and that's the end of the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    OK, then. I suppose, since we're not providing the material, which is already there for anybody to see; we're merely linking to it.
    But wasn't this exactly what I was saying when I put mp3 sound tracks recovered from YouTube on the portal and someone said I should only keep those in public domain, more than 50 years old?
    At that point, the problem is that you are the one "making available" the files. If the day after you stripped the audio and uploaded it, Youtube had received a takedown order for that file odds are you would have no idea in all likelihood. To further complicate the matter, let's say you stripped the audio from a video clip you personally had uploaded to youtube so you are aware when/if YT gets a takedown notice for the video clip. It's still problematic to host the audio yourself -- since for the video clip you've uploaded it to youtube, they are the ones who bear responsibility (though, should the clips you choose to upload continually face takedown notices, they may disable your YT account). For a clip you upload to your own hosting you are paying for, that is considered as you personally making it available.

And copyright is longer than 50 years (which is unfortunate and depressing -- write your congressperson!) so to be safe I think you have to go back 85 years.

Situation is different with torrents as well since, by their very nature, when you download it you are simultaneously uploading it to others, thus you are the one 'making available' the file. That is, it's technically not illegal (or much less illegal, one might say) to download an infringing file for various reasons -- the real punishment comes from uploading / transferring it to others since you can not verify if they have a legal right to possess that file.

edit: It is in fact possible to challenge removal of any clips you upload to YT, should the copyright holder try to get them removed. Fair Use does give the average person a legitimate excuse to be providing copywritten files in some cases, though it's still not something that I would do with my own hosting. As an example, the original clip on YT of Rachele Gilmore's Met debut as Olympia was removed - likely due to a takedown notice. I had previously downloaded it so I uploaded it on my own YT account. It was then challenged, I submitted a response citing (iirc) sections 1, 3, and 4 of the Fair Use Act and it was restored to my account and I have had no problems since.

edit 2: If anyone's Youtube clips are challenged, you can try using the response I sent (just including the body of my counter-notification, not the fiddly details about the specific video and such. Obviously tailor it as you see fit).

Per the 4 guidelines of FairUse here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use I believe the usage of the clip is allowed due to #1 (clearly non-profit and educational), #3 (approx 5% of the entire work), and #4 (segment listed not commercially available / makes entire work more desirable in context)
    The first part of #4 may not apply to any clips you upload, #3 will need the percentage recalculated (and if it's over 10%, I'd guess it isn't a legitimate reason).
    My guess is most people don't fight takedown notices and just let their video be removed and that regardless of the legitimacy of one's counter-notification, it is likely to succeed because for the copyright holder to follow up requires far more work than sending out essentially automated takedown notices which likely require very little actual work on their part. So if you get a takedown notice just fight it, you have nothing to lose and takes 10-15 minutes to do.
    Last edited by rgz; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milan , La Scala
    30 March , 1979 ; Live Recordings
    La Scala Milan Orchestra & Chorus
    Carlos Kleiber

Mimi : Ileana Cotrubas
    Rodolfo : Luciano Pavarotti
    Marcello : Lorenzo Saccomani
    Musseta : Lucia Popp
    Schaunard : Giorgio Giorgetti
    Colline : Evghenij Nesterenko
    Parpignol : Saverio Porzano
    Benoit : Claudio Giombi
    Alcindore : Alfredo Giacomotti
    Sergente dei Doganieri : Carlo Meliciani
    Un Doganiere : Giuseppe Morresi
    Un Venditore : Regolo Romani

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    This a fantastic resource & so very useful. We can watch an opera for free & then decide whether or not to either buy CD, DVD or even go & see it.

Thank you again desiree.
    Oh yes, definitely! Especially for people like me who have limited resources. I can only have one or two (at the most) versions of a certain opera which is why I abuse the You Tube site and take recommendations from knowledgeable people here.

You're welcome, Annie.