Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since that night at the Polka, I don't understand you, Sheriff.
    --Ashby, La Fanciulla del West

2. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Legenda Bałtyku (Legend of the Baltic) by Feliks Nowowiejski

Interesting Polish opera currently on OperaVision. I’ll synopsize this one a bit, because it hasn’t been performed or recorded since its 1924 premiere, and there’s precious little info in English on the internet about it. Doman and Bogna love each other, but Doman is just a poor fisherman so her father wants her to marry the town mustache-twirling villain. Opera dads… The only way he’ll allow Doman to prove himself worthy is to retrieve a mythical crown in a sunken city from Polish mythology.

In Act 2, Doman instantly gets himself shipwrecked, but a god takes pity on him and gives him power to complete his quest. I imagine the most important power is simply the ability to breathe underwater, because this whole act takes place underwater and is entirely a ballet with no singing except for a choral finale! It’s a brilliant stroke for this opera. And I don’t usually care for ballet interludes in opera, but here it adds an unexpected touch of realism to the underwater realm: there’s no speech and every one is moving very fluidly. (Although it does require a 2nd performer for Doman. With, let’s be honest, a different physique. But the director (and choreographer) of this production cleverly introduces the ballet Doman in Act I.)

Legenda Bałtyku plays, as you might expect, like something in between Germanic and Russian opera. The orchestra writing is like early Wagner with forays into Polish dance. The plot is steeped in national mythology and it’s a “number” opera. There are very nice arias and duets – the Act I tenor aria has remained in Polish tenors’ repertoire – and the choral writing is particularly memorable. Nowowiejski is apparently most well-known for his choir writing.

It’s very conservative for 1924 – it sounds like it could have been written 30-40 years before – so Nowowiejski’s desire for a popular nationalist opera is clear. And entirely understandable: Poland as we know it was born just years before as a result of WWI. They hadn’t had independence for more than a century; we all remember how Chopin’s Polonaises and Mazurkas are calls for revolution, right? Well, Legenda Bałtyku is also a statement of identity; these are our myths and customs and dances.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post

Legenda Bałtyku (Legend of the Baltic) by Feliks Nowowiejski

Interesting Polish opera currently on OperaVision. I’ll synopsize this one a bit, because it hasn’t been performed or recorded since its 1924 premiere, and there’s precious little info in English on the internet about it. Doman and Bogna love each other, but Doman is just a poor fisherman so her father wants her to marry the town mustache-twirling villain. Opera dads… The only way he’ll allow Doman to prove himself worthy is to retrieve a mythical crown in a sunken city from Polish mythology.

In Act 2, Doman instantly gets himself shipwrecked, but a god takes pity on him and gives him power to complete his quest. I imagine the most important power is simply the ability to breathe underwater, because this whole act takes place underwater and is entirely a ballet with no singing except for a choral finale! It’s a brilliant stroke for this opera. And I don’t usually care for ballet interludes in opera, but here it adds an unexpected touch of realism to the underwater realm: there’s no speech and every one is moving very fluidly. (Although it does require a 2nd performer for Doman. With, let’s be honest, a different physique. But the director (and choreographer) of this production cleverly introduces the ballet Doman in Act I.)

Legenda Bałtyku plays, as you might expect, like something in between Germanic and Russian opera. The orchestra writing is like early Wagner with forays into Polish dance. The plot is steeped in national mythology and it’s a “number” opera. There are very nice arias and duets – the Act I tenor aria has remained in Polish tenors’ repertoire – and the choral writing is particularly memorable. Nowowiejski is apparently most well-known for his choir writing.

It’s very conservative for 1924 – it sounds like it could have been written 30-40 years before – so Nowowiejski’s desire for a popular nationalist opera is clear. And entirely understandable: Poland as we know it was born just years before as a result of WWI. They hadn’t had independence for more than a century; we all remember how Chopin’s Polonaises and Mazurkas are calls for revolution, right? Well, Legenda Bałtyku is also a statement of identity; these are our myths and customs and dances.

Thank you for the synopsis and will grab this before it disappears.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

Thank you for the synopsis and will grab this before it disappears.
    It's via Operavision so will be around until June 2018
    Natalie

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    It's via Operavision so will be around until June 2018
    I clicked that one to you tube and lookie what I found on the side, and with English subtitles:

8. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, DasNino liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone uploaded amateur images from the Met's Pagliacci to YouTube with Roberto Alagna and Aleksandra Kurzak; likely this won't stay up for too long, but in the meantime viewers can have some extended samples of this production.

Oh wait, it's actually the complete thing, on this channel (clips are out of order but do have numbers so that the sequence can be followed):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs5...Do8LRF2mVZ99mQ
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 27th, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    EDIT: Hmmm, something tells me I may have posted this before. Well, rather than a post saying, "Post Deleted," may as well leave it here. If I posted it before, it is a long way back where few will see it.

Nina: Milano, Teatro alla Scala, 1999 - Riccardo Muti - Anna Caterina Antonacci - Juan Diego Florez

EDIT: Strangely, Antonacci looks a bit like Michael Jackson in this video.

12. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is something that have been hidden. Madama Butterfly from Opera de las Palmas with Saekyung Rim in the title role:

Saekyung Rim is the leading Korean Cio-Cio San and there is no other country that have more Cio-Cio Sans than South Korea. And for me the most moving Butterfly.

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like the same one that is on DVD (from the singers listed near the beginning) but the DVD says 169 minutes and this is over 4 hours.

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Ingvar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wishing one or both of these were on DVD so I could get the subtitles with it.

17. Likes Ingvar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Minne from the Pink Trailer Fanciulla DVD but in a traditional setting:

19. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30