Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two great singers together:
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manon by Jules Massenet from the Korean National Opera with Anna Sohn in the title role and English subtitles:

I am not that fond of Massenet but I think this video is really nice and have seen it several times.

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Two great singers together:
    Thanks for this, Florestan. I don't typically watch opera on TV (or Youtube on my devices), but was riveted by Netrebko and DiDonato in one of my favorite operas. Netrebko is superb - and I could watch JDD sing the yellow pages (I have to find a new metaphor, I don't think there is such a thing as the yellow pages any longer..).

Curious, though, that I am unable to identify the source of this performance - where were they singing, who sang the other principal roles and who was conducting which orchestra? Am I missing something? I wonder if it might be a pirate - although the audio is very good, the image is pretty fuzzy. On the other hand, the camera moves around too much with too many close-ups for this to be an amateur effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Thanks for this, Florestan. I don't typically watch opera on TV (or Youtube on my devices), but was riveted by Netrebko and DiDonato in one of my favorite operas. Netrebko is superb - and I could watch JDD sing the yellow pages (I have to find a new metaphor, I don't think there is such a thing as the yellow pages any longer..).

Curious, though, that I am unable to identify the source of this performance - where were they singing, who sang the other principal roles and who was conducting which orchestra? Am I missing something? I wonder if it might be a pirate - although the audio is very good, the image is pretty fuzzy. On the other hand, the camera moves around too much with too many close-ups for this to be an amateur effort.
    The video caption says it is 2008. If you click open the Show More under the You Tube video posting you get this info:

Giulietta - Anna Netrebko
    Romeo - Joyce DiDonato
    Tebaldo - Matthew Polenzani
    Capellio - Giovanni Battista
    Parodi Lorenzo - Mikhail Petrenko

Conductor - Evelino Pido
    Orchestra - L'Opéra National de Paris
    Chorus - L'Opéra National de Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I could watch JDD sing the yellow pages (I have to find a new metaphor, I don't think there is such a thing as the yellow pages any longer..).
    How about the Congressional Record?

If you feel like traveling you can see Joyce sing Winterrese. In recital she performs Winterreise partnered by Nézet-Séguin in Kansas City and Ann Arbor. I have tickets for the one in Ann Arbor, MI ,next month. I know we both saw her in Ariodante a couple years ago and she was amazing (Sonia Prina was very good in that too).
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

7. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro), Ingvar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the one above because Giovanna looks the part of a teen girl and dons fighting gear, but the reviews are not so good on the singing in it, whereas the one below is a much better deal in used pricing and seems to have pretty good singing too.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched a portion of the first one and bits of the second. I think Giacomo is sung by Piero Cappuccilli in the first and Renato Bruson in the second; the Giovanna I suspect is Cristina Deutekom in the first and Susan Dunn (okay, the video title is a giveaway) in the second. Not sure about either of the tenors singing the King.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I watched a portion of the first one and bits of the second. I think Giacomo is sung by Piero Cappuccilli in the first and Renato Bruson in the second; the Giovanna I suspect is Cristina Deutekom in the first and Susan Dunn (okay, the video title is a giveaway) in the second. Not sure about either of the tenors singing the King.
    First one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094AH38Y

Second one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1ZBJ0

Also one with Netrebko: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5GZH8G/ Here is a clip:

Here is an explanation of this different approach to the opera (the Netrebko set).

And now I think perhaps the Netrebko set might be the best one to get.

Yet one other (Maybe need a Giovanna D'arco thread?): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTN76TN
    You Tube Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IoTkkNjF6s

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I got the baritones right!

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, not a live production, but this is worth a listen:

17. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, no stage action, just the music, but well worth it. Perhaps the cleanest sounding Maid of Orleans out there. An anomaly, so far as Joan of Arc goes, I understand she was quite modest, so the video image is just wrong. However, perhaps the Tchaikovsky version allows for it.

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33