Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Der Freischütz (English Subtitles) Queen City Opera
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard some wonderful Violettas, and I think Cotrubas is still my favorite (have the audio recording with her, Domingo, and Milnes).

10. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This looks good. I shall start it tonight. She stabs Scarpia in the neck! Then uses wine to wash blood off her hands. Subtitles too!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Now that I watched this far, I see she stabbed him in the neck/upper back area. Wonder if Puccini specified where Scarpia is to be stabbed. Also, not wine but the water next to the wine to rinse her hands. Other than that, I'll say the opera is awesome so far, well worth a watch. Well, past my bedtime, so Act III waits for now.

13. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the complete ROH Fidelio with Lise Davidsen as Leonore. This was one of the performances where Jonas Kaufmann was ailing, and has been replaced by David Butt Philip.

15. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Theater an der Wien
    Conductor/orchestra: Manfred Honek, Vienna Symphony Orchestra
    Arnold Schoenberg Choir
    Director: Christoph Waltz
    Cast: Nicole Chevalier (Leonore), Eric Cutler (Florestan), Gábor Bretz (Pizarro), Christof Fischesser (Rocco), Mélissa Petit (Marzelline), Benjamin Hulett (Jaquino), Károly Szemerédy (Don Fernando)

As I soon figured out, this is the 1806 version of Fidelio, which more closely resembles the 1805 Urfassung than the 1814 final version. All of the action takes place on a single multipurpose set featuring a massive structure of "interwoven," sweeping stairways. Costumes are modern; even Marzelline is wearing trousers here. Still, it's a fine cast and Waltz respects both the characters and the story.

17. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Theater an der Wien
    Conductor/orchestra: Manfred Honek, Vienna Symphony Orchestra
    Arnold Schoenberg Choir
    Director: Christoph Waltz
    Cast: Nicole Chevalier (Leonore), Eric Cutler (Florestan), Gábor Bretz (Pizarro), Christof Fischesser (Rocco), Mélissa Petit (Marzelline), Benjamin Hulett (Jaquino), Károly Szemerédy (Don Fernando)

As I soon figured out, this is the 1806 version of Fidelio, which more closely resembles the 1805 Urfassung than the 1814 final version. All of the action takes place on a single multipurpose set featuring a massive structure of "interwoven," sweeping stairways. Costumes are modern; even Marzelline is wearing trousers here. Still, it's a fine cast and Waltz respects both the characters and the story.
    Am watching it. Very nice production. It gets pretty crazy at 1:04:50 when Jaquino attacks Fidelio for kissing Marzelline. I don't remember this little tussle in the libretto.

19. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's Waltz's idea, and one I really don't agree with. I don't think Leonore would do anything to actively encourage Marzelline's infatuation with Fidelio -- she even expresses regret at having to deceive the girl in their duet "Um in der Ehe froh zu leben." Nor do I think that Jaquino can behave too aggressively toward Fidelio without incurring Rocco's displeasure, especially after the jailer has chosen the "young man" to be his son-in-law.

21. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the complete ROH Fidelio with Lise Davidsen as Leonore. This was one of the performances where Jonas Kaufmann was ailing, and has been replaced by David Butt Philip.
    Just 19 minutes in on this one, but they includes a half dozen ruffian "peers" to harass Jaquino over his being jilted by Marzelline and worse yet, they added a bunch of dialogue not present in the libretto (see starting at 17:35).

And what was with all the severed heads in a basket, and the women rifling through them apparently looking for their beaus? See starting about 8:05--gruesome!

Also, Marzelline looks like someone gave her a black eye on the left. An ill timed injury, but wouldn't they try to hide it with make-up?

Post Thanks / Like
    The severed heads in a basket is, I think, a reference to the French Revolution and some of its excesses. I had the same reaction to Marzelline's "shiner;" if the soprano had been injured, why wasn't stage makeup used to conceal the bruising? Or did Kratzer intend for people to think that the girl was the victim of physical abuse? The musical performance is the only worthwhile thing here, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    The severed heads in a basket is, I think, a reference to the French Revolution and some of its excesses. I had the same reaction to Marzelline's "shiner;" if the soprano had been injured, why wasn't stage makeup used to conceal the bruising? Or did Kratzer intend for people to think that the girl was the victim of physical abuse? The musical performance is the only worthwhile thing here, IMO.
    I do find the new dialog interesting and overall a fun watch. I like the actor who plays Leonore. I find Marzelline a bit spooky. Not sure if its the shiner, or just her vehemence that could turn into a very dominating persona in a marriage.

25. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished it tonight. I really enjoyed it, even though some stuff was really weird. And what a surprise towards the end with Marzelline! A Fidelio purist would probably hate it, but it is well worth watching for the excellent music, singing, and acting IMO. Some events are dramatically different from the original work.