Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought of Florestan’s interest in Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg when I came across this complete recording of the opera on YouTube. This appears to have been a guest appearance in Tokyo by the Berlin State Opera in 1987, with Otmar Suitner on the podium and some of the old East Germany’s leading singers in the cast – Reiner Goldberg, Peter Schreier, and Theo Adam, among others. It’s an excellent, traditional performance, though the only text translation is in Japanese.

2. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well here is something different. Tannhauser sung in French.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

While most of the university opera departments in my area seem to be skipping performance all together, Rice University’s opera department quickly made the decision to create video content. It’s a fantastic display of resourcefulness, finding ways to make art within a set of restraints, and those are poignant conditions in which to explore this particular opera.

They filmed the singers in front of a green screen in order to social distance and create virtual backgrounds, and they used a technology called Chromadepth to deliver an experimental 3D experience, which can also be viewed in 2D. The Chromadepth 3D process explains why the production is mostly in primary colors. “Warm” colors appear closer, while “Cool” colors appear far away, while wearing the glasses. I’ll be honest, their results were mixed; some scenes had really impressive depth effects, some did not work well and made my eyes hurt. But for most of the performance, I just took the glasses off. The color design still works brilliantly in 2D. The student singers give wonderful performances.

The video should be available for one year. It begins with a really good discussion of the opera's history.

6. Likes MAuer liked this post