Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    Ernst Krenek : The Bell Tower - 1956

Schigolch
    In his own words, Rued Langgaard considered his 1923 opera, Antikrist, as a philosophical-religious drama about the decline and spiritual fall of Western civilization. In fact, there is almost no plot, and certainly no drama, in this opera, that consists basically of several monologues and dialogues, with little more action between the Prologue, when the Antichrist is sent to the World, to the final scene, with the defeat and destruction of the Antichrist.

Altough Langgaard tried to get several theaters interested in performing the opera during his lifetime, it was not until more than forty years after his death, that the Antikrist was finally staged in Austria, sung in German. (the Danish State radio also broadcasted a performance in the 1980s).

We can hear the opera complete in youtube:

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    In his own words, Rued Langgaard considered his 1923 opera, Antikrist, as a philosophical-religious drama about the decline and spiritual fall of Western civilization. In fact, there is almost no plot, and certainly no drama, in this opera, that consists basically of several monologues and dialogues, with little more action between the Prologue, when the Antichrist is sent to the World, to the final scene, with the defeat and destruction of the Antichrist.
    Oh dear ... not what I would like to read because I have Antikrist on Blu-ray as part of my unwatched pile.

Schigolch
    You never know... perhaps this is a Regietheater staging, after all.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Oh dear ... not what I would like to read because I have Antikrist on Blu-ray as part of my unwatched pile.

I've steered clear of buying this, as I've read negative reviews. Send it back for a refund, HC!

But seriously, I like the fact that you've been experimenting a lot. In the past you used to be a lot more set on your ways (Baroque, Baroque, and more Baroque) and while as you know I love Baroque too, I'm an omnivore opera lover, and I think there are advantages in broadening one's exposure, exploring contemporary opera, etc. You know, contemporary music grows on you; strange, unfamiliar, challenging at first, but once you get into it you discover that it can be quite beautiful and satisfying.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    Taneyev - Oresteia

Schigolch
    The dawn of a new Italian Opera after WWII, Luigi Dallapiccola's Il Prigioniero:

Schigolch
    Erwin Schulhoff's Flammen, written between 1927 and 1929:

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Just because we haven't had enough discussion about Regietheater here (won't somebody think of the CHILDREN!), I give you acts I and II of the now infamous Herheim Bohème from Oslo, earlier this year:
    LOVE Marita Sølberg!

Edit: Diego Torre is really growing on me too.

And I like the production in a sort of sado-masochistic way.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; August 28th, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    LOVE Marita Sølberg!

Edit: Diego Torre is really growing on me too.

And I like the production in a sort of sado-masochistic way.
    I KNOW! Marita Sølberg is awesome! She's doing Giulietta in I Capuletti e i Montecchi here in a few months (with OMFG Vesselina Kasarova as Romeo). It should be amazing. And Diego Torre is having the same effect on me too. He's a lot more listenable than he was when I saw it in the cinema.

Schigolch
    Der Templer und die Jüdin, an operatic adaptation of Sir Walter Scott's 'Ivanhoe', by German composer Heinrich Marschner:

Schigolch
    We can watch a complete production from Teatro Amazonas (Manaus), Poulenc's Dialogues des Carmelites, staged in 2011:

Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gaetano Donizetti - Maria di Rohan (1988)

with custom English and Russian subtitles (click CC button to select subs)

This is a commercially unavailable telecast that I acquired from a grey market dealer and which I did my best to improve. I spent three months last year creating the English subtitles, making use of a public domain translation and following closely a copy of a Kalmus vocal score. The Russian subtitles are a translation of my own subs and were prepared by an internet friend who runs the website http://sub-opera.narod.ru.

[A brief technical note: For some reason Youtube would not display Em dashes correctly, so I replaced all instances of —, of which there are many, with --]

Enjoy.

Paul

Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anton Rubinstein - The Demon (1960)

with custom English subtitles

This is a classic 1960 abridged version made for Soviet television. It features the incomparable Georg Ots (
    arguably the supreme interpreter of this role and who was clearly made up to resemble the Demon of Mikhail Vrubel's famous paintings) and Sergei Lemeshev. As the film contains no credits, there is some uncertainty as to who sang the role of Tamara. Some sources list Irina Arkhipova (I am certain this is incorrect), whereas an uploader of this same video (sans subtitles) to youtube claims that the part is sung by Olga Kashevarova. If so, then it is an unknown young actress miming her voice (Kashevarova would have been 55 in 1960).

The film is directed by Vitali Golovin, who would make "Dubrovsky" with Lemeshev and his wife Vera Kudryavtseva a year later (a project that I am currently working on).

Schigolch
    Yes, I can't see Arkhipova singing a soprano role...

Kashevarova is the soprano singing with Ots in the Mariinsky version of 1957, so maybe this is the reason why she is mentioned.